Thursday, October 1, 2009

Baby Shower

This past Saturday some ladies here held a baby shower for me. I have to admit that I wasn't a big fan of the concept of a baby shower. First of all, I have never liked the games they make you play. I mean, seriously ... who really wants someone pulling off 92 squares of toilet paper and insinuating that you're really that big around? I was also a bit embarrassed by the concept of an event that is held for the purpose of people bringing me gifts. It's lovely and sweet, but it just makes me uncomfortable.

As it turned out, though, it was absolutely perfect. My sister started the ball rolling with a box of wonderful books for baby. There is nothing I could have wanted more. Apparently she also took the time to plant a bug in someone's ear out here. I was wondering how everyone was so smart as to buy me baby books. And then one of the ladies hosting the shower filled me in on the fact that my sister has been in touch. Isn't it amazing what good care she takes of me even from thousands of miles away?

The rest of the day was just what one could wish for. Everything was beautiful and low key. We played two games that included baby bingo and a drawing game. The bingo was awesome as we played with M&M's. Everyone got to eat their boards as we went. The drawing game was too much fun. Wait, I think I have a picture:
Not a great picture, but it gives you a general idea. The concept was that everyone had to draw a picture of Button ... with hair. Some of them had me absolutely cracking up laughing. Especially the ones with the goatee, eyebrow piercing, cigarette and Mr. T haircut. Not sure what this says about Ben and I, but entertaining none-the-less.

You know it's been a nice day when everyone doesn't run out the door immediately following. In fact, a small group of us sat around for approximately two to three hours just talking. For me, it's the perfect way to spend the afternoon. I felt so honored that so many lovely women put in so much work to make it such a special occasion. I don't think there's ever a way to say thank you for that most marvelous of gifts. Below, I am going to show some pictures of some of the highlights of the day.

Rachelle made this amazing carousel cake for the event. It tasted as yummy as it looks ...

I was so impressed by Anna's diaper cake. She says it's simple, but I thought it was incredible. There were all sorts of little goodies tucked inside.

Carla playing M&M bingo. One for me, one for the board ... I do believe she won a game, although I may be mistaken. Rebekah gave these little teeny chicken pitchers as prizes. Chicken pitchers, just so you don't think we are odd, have a special meaning here and they symbolize good luck. Apparently it's also good luck to give pregnant women grapes, so one of the Italian ladies sent me home with a whole crate of them. This should be a very lucky baby.

Last but not least ... Laura and Anna having fun and checking out their game prizes. There's a ton more pictures, but in the interests of keeping this post to a reasonable length, I'll leave it there.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! See the brain really does go when your preggers - Totally due on Nov. 10 Duh! & another weird thing my husband's name is Ben too! Anyhow, enough of the silliness - Loved the cake at your shower and I totally understand about the weirdness of showers, I have some ladies at church that are doing a shower for me this Sunday and I'm a little stressed out about that but like you said I'm honored they even thought of me. Hope you have a great day, Sami

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet... that is an incredible cake! I'm glad you were blessed with such a nice shower. Wish I could have been there to help celebrate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Diann,

    Thank you for stopping over and leaving me a comment on my post “Falling for Autumn”. I am honored that you would take the time to write me such a long comment.

    What a wonderful baby shower. I know what you mean…I don’t like to be the center of attention, and I don’t like silly games. I am happy to hear yours was such a delight. You have good friends.

    I love that carousel cake!

    You sister is so sweet and thoughtful. I am pleased to get to know her; she is such a blessing!

    I think of Kat and you every day.

    ♥Hope

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my darling.

    I am so happy your shower turned out so nice and your were able to avoid those silly games! I love the carousel cake. Absolutely gorgeous. And I disagree. Before I read your journaling below, I said aloud how beautiful you looked in the photo with the white shirt.

    I love that local customs like the chicken and grapes were included. I think that is special since it is so much a part of your life right now.

    I am all but crying, even now. I so wish I could have been there with you. For your shower and for this special time in your life. But I am looking forward to seeing you and Button in November. (ok and Ben, too.)

    Love your adoring sister!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete