Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Hibilden

About six weeks ago my husband and I joined a bowling league. Seems like a strange time to take up bowling, right? Or maybe not. But I'll come back to that part. Anyway, it's a mixed league with people of various skill levels. Ben and I (far right this picture) definitely are not what you'd call competitive bowlers. In fact, if I bowl a 35 it's a good game. This may sound like I'm exaggerating, but I'll assure you my highest game before this league was an 81. Ben isn't bad, but he's also not going to be giving anyone stiff competition.

When we started putting together a team, we wanted people who, while not necessarily being bad, also weren't ultra competitive. We just wanted to go out there for the fun of it and not have people who were going to be incredibly upset it we didn't do well. Our friends Andy and Carla (far left and aqua shirt) were on board for that theory. The night of the bowling league meeting we picked up Michelle and her husband Rick. Turns out they had enough people to do six man teams and Rick and Michelle wanted a team to join. They were a perfect fit for our little group.

Here we are six weeks into the league and it's been a blast so far. Here's some fun facts to show you where we are: I, personally, have the highest handicap for the league; Michelle has the second highest; one-third of our team is currently pregnant; somehow we managed to land ourselves in second place; and four members of our team landed on the high bowler list. Quite honestly, this cracks me up. And in the end, we still don't care whether we're doing well or not. Every night we're out there bowling we cheer for everyone whether it's our team or the team we are bowling against. And if we only get one pin, then we "got the hard one" and we're happy about that too. Granted, we do give a little extra cheer if someone happens to get a strike, but I'm glad they aren't a necessary part of us having fun.

To wrap this post up, I have to talk about my sister's theory of bowling. She swears that you actually bowl better when you're pregnant. I'm beginning to think she's right. My average for the league hovers at 63. While not stellar, still better than the norm for me. I have actually bowled two games that broke the 100 mark. Carla, the other pregnant member of our team, has been steadily improving all league hitting the 150 mark. She says she normally doesn't do that well either, but she's been high scorer for our team a couple of games now. I'm not sure if anyone else has tried it, but we would love some feedback on this theory. Pregnancy ... does it make better bowlers?

2 comments:

  1. Hello Diann!
    Thanks for visiting my blog!
    Kat has told me that you live in Italy too!
    Do you speak Italian? I have created my english blog, because I'm trying to learn English, a language that I love so much!

    Blessings,
    Manuela

    ps. I have tagged you in Abc's of me survey.
    ps2. Don't worry, I'm a beginner too in the blog land!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you love that we can take time to ponder such important questions like the impact of pregnancy on bowling scores? It's kind of like those late night chat we have over junk food when you come home for a visit. Where's the ice cream?

    ReplyDelete