This post was inspired while making dinner the other day. Normally, I do not buy cabbage. Not that I have anything against cabbage, it just doesn't happen to be a food for which I have a lot of use. Plus, while I am breast feeding, it's not the best thing for breast milk. About a week ago, though, I had a craving for fish tacos. I think a friend mentioned them and it sounded so good I decided I wanted fish tacos. I looked up a recipe online and trotted off to the store for some cod and cabbage.
Now it only took about 1/8 of the cabbage to make fish tacos for two people. That leaves a lot of cabbage left over. What to do with all that left over cabbage? Some people may think "just throw it out", but at the price of produce, I just couldn't bring myself to do so. As mentioned earlier, I don't find myself using cabbage a lot, so I was really stumped. Ben came up with the brilliant idea of making stuffed cabbage. Another recipe I've never tried, but how hard could it be? Making stuffed cabbage used up about half of what was left of my leafy vegetable. Good progress and good stuffed cabbage!
I was down to about 1/3 of the original head and still had no idea what to do when someone invited me to a cookout this weekend. Well, what's a cookout without the cole slaw! Perfect. I threw in a carrot, and a few ingredients from the cabinet, and instant bring along dish.
Amazing. For someone who had no use for an entire cabbage, I had now used up the entire head. I couldn't help but think to myself how economical that head of cabbage was. Originally, a lot of vegetable was going to waste and I ended up coming up with three meals for something that cost less than a dollar. Now that's value.
I always tell people how amazed I am at your ability to stretch a dollar... and apparently a cabbage, too. Stuffed cabbage... yum. I can't believe you've never made stuffed cabbage before! I might have to make it this week because I sure am craving it now!
ReplyDeleteLove ya!
Kat
Great job stretching your food and money. I love being able to stretch the food and the money....there is such a sense of accomplishment!
ReplyDeleteHope you are doing well and baby button is all smiles!
Hugs,
andrea
You go girl! I try to pull the "use it instead of throw it away" technique as often as I can. However, I have to say, you did it very eliquently. My attempts don't usually go very smoothly (something ends up getting thrown away anyway). :)
ReplyDelete