Saturday, March 6, 2010

Insalata d'Arancia Rossa

This is a long overdue post to my sister. When we went to the Ricotta Cheese Workshop we finished off the day with lunch. After all, it wouldn't be Italy if the day didn't conclude with a large meal. One of the dishes they served was an orange salad with sausages. My sister had asked me for the recipe for this dish and I have been trying desperately to get it. One of the gentleman here never got back to me on the recipe, but he did disclose that you made an orange salad and added cold sausages to it. That sounds easy enough. I don't have a recipe for orange salad per se, but I do have one for blood orange salad. Here is my stab at the orange and sausage dish. If someone tries it out, let me know how it goes ...

(This is an entirely gratuitous picture of my son which has absolutely nothing to do with the aforementioned recipe. I include it solely because I have been accused of not posting enough pictures of my son. Now, on with the recipe ...)

Sausages and Oranges
Begin by going to your local butcher and buying some good sausages. If you don't have a local butcher ... find one. If you must *sigh* go to the market and buy some sausages from there. It won't be the same, but I suppose one must do what one must. Cook the sausages until nicely browned and cooked through. Allow to cool.

Cut four oranges into bite-sized pieces. Mince two garlic cloves and mix with chopped Italian flat leaf parsley, red pepper flakes and black pepper to taste. Generously drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Toss.

Arrange sausages on platter. Serve with orange salad on the same platter.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! And the super adorable makes my uterus ache picture of button.

    I actually found a recipe for orange salad about two weeks ago and made a stab at this recipe. I sauteed some sweet Italian sausage from Hemp's in olive oil with sweet onion that had been cut into strips. I added some fennel seed because it seemed like it would be good. Then I tossed with the oranges I prepared by cut into segments and some good quality olives. I tossed the whole mess with Emilio's olive oil and chilled. It was good but I think would have been better if I had done the sausage on the grill for a nice smoky flavor. I am going to try it again by smoking the sausage on the grill and then using your spices and seasonings and see if it isn't closer to what I remember from the Ricotta farm... delicious! Thanks for your work.

    Love,

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got it, girl! No posting without picture of baby!!!!☺

    Looking forward to this recipe. Mom has told us all about it. Unusual sounding but I'll take Mom's word that it will be delicious.
    Love ya!
    Nana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at him sucking his thumb! Is that not too cute!
    How is Mommy coming along?
    Love,
    KK

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree...keep posting those pics! :)
    Adorable!!!

    Can't wait to see you in person!!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete