
I heard my son laugh for the first time the other day. I have no idea why he was laughing or how to get him to do it again, but it was amazing. Some days I have days like today. For one reason or another (and no, we have yet to figure out what triggers this) my son decides he doesn't want to sleep. He took half a morning nap, no afternoon nap and spent most of the day being cranky. Finally, about 2:30 this afternoon, he fell asleep in my arms. Everything that I've been trying to instill in my son about good sleeping habits went out the window right then as I balanced it against my son actually getting some much needed sleep. For two and a half hours I just sat there watching him sleep. My back ached. I was tired. My son slept. And somehow, the fact that I was uncomfortable really didn't matter. I know this sounds cliche, but it's also the truth. For those two and a half hours, I just sat there watching that sweet little face and thanking God for my precious baby boy. I thought about that darling little laugh of his and the sweet smile I get when he's actually slept. And I thought how one day I would be so grateful for that time holding my son in my arms.
What a wonderful mommie you are to little buttons! He is precious. Enjoy those sleeping and sleepless moments...they fleet away quickly.
ReplyDeleteBlessings and prayers, andrea
When Nathan was a baby, I rocked him to sleep for a year. For a year, I was light on sleep, but heavy on snuggles with my boy. Now that we realize we won't have any more babies, I thank God from way deep down in my heart that I spent that time rocking my baby boy. He *still* likes to be rocked if he's sad or sick.
ReplyDeleteHello Diann,
ReplyDeleteThose precious moments go be too quickly. It’s almost unbelievable how fast babies grow up. I love that little baby laugh! I can just hear it.
Have a happy day!
♥Hope
I read this when you first posted it. Can't believe I never left a comment. Those moments just sitting and feeling a warm baby sleep in your arms while you do nothing more than stare at him... that is what a mother's heart is made for. Good for you to sit and enjoy it... sleeping arm and all. I've been there a few times... I think I was there with button once or twice... there is nothing in life to compare.
ReplyDeleteLove ya!
Kat
By the way, he looks completely different in that picture and you had better tell him that Zia says to stop that growing business until he comes home!
ReplyDeleteOk...is it just me or does Gabriel totally look like you in that picture??? :)
ReplyDeleteHe is delightful! And so glad you had a chance to experience the utter gratefulness that can overcome a mother watching her sleeping babe (good sleep habits or not! :)
ReplyDeleteI have never regretted a moment spent holding our little guy while he dreamt. They have been some of my most intimate prayer times.
Stopping by to say hello from your sister's blog and her hilarious fruitcake story! :)