We have moved. A lot. And every move has been into a smaller domicile. Not a complaint, mind you, just a statement of fact. Ironically, with each move, the size of our family has grown. To sum up, we have more people, more stuff, less space. Those of you who read my post on stuff know how much I would like to halt the possession spread. However, when you're talking about five people this can definitely be a challenge. Just because I no longer want my husband's Bitty Basketball trophy, does not mean that he is finished with it. And that rock collection of my son's, which I think would be happier in the garden, has found a permanent home in his room.
Point being that I feel like I am on a constant quest to clean out, reorganize and make life run a little bit more smoothly. I keep reading all these organizational books, find more space books and the how-to books. None of them tell me anything earth shattering, but they all seem to be pointing in the same direction -- stream line and organize. The one I was reading the other day pointed out the benefit of taking things one small bite at a time. Sounded good.
My small bite for this week was looking at some closets. It was only meant to be the bathroom closet, which incidentally I have still not touched, but it kind of snow balled. Before I knew it, I had the contents of my closet, the bathroom cabinets, my daughter's closet and my son's closet all dumped. Not to mention the holes in the bathroom wall I had created. Which perhaps I shouldn't mention that part of the story. As my son pointed out, I created a disaster. Thanks son. And the real challenge was getting it all back to sanity before my husband came home and saw the disaster I had created.
There are definitely things I would like to do with this house. We could use some more book shelves, some closet organizers and more storage in general. Hence, why I keep trying to get rid of things. Once I have gone through the editing process yet again, the trick is finding a place for what is left. By moving things around in the two bathrooms I have managed to make everything easier to access. No longer do I have to pull everything out from under the sink to find the bath toys or towels. I also moved two pieces of furniture in the house. Doesn't sound like much, but I managed to make sense out of three closets with those two moves. Amazing. Even more amazing, everything found a place. Good start.
There are still quite a few things I'd like to do. And quite a few things which I think could be much more efficient. In the interim, I am making small steps to bring order to the chaos. Not to regulate life so much, but to make life a little more fun and a lot less work for everyone who lives here. At present I'm going by this lovely motto; "it's not perfect, but it's better."
We try this. As soon as we get to the last spot in the house to tackle, we need to start over. Circle of life.
ReplyDeleteThe zebra eats the grass, the lion eats the zebra, the lion dies and becomes part of the grass ... Oh wait, not that esoteric. Yeah, as I keep saying to folks, some day my house will be perfectly clean, perfectly organized and I will miss my children like mad.
DeleteI totally agree with Gixxerfool's Circle of Life point. It's very true! You are also wise with focusing on "what do I need access to in this space?' Making the stuff you need accessible will make life more simple! Everything else can get thrown into a pile somewhere else. :) --Julie
ReplyDelete