We don't have television in our house. Let me clarify. We own a television. We just don't have cable or a satellite dish or any other main stream programming coming into our house. I believe we tried the concept once about a dozen years ago. After one month of paying an exorbitant cost for the privilege of flipping through 100 channels worth of nothing, we decided to dump our service. Win win.
This doesn't mean that we don't enjoy some mindless entertainment on occasion. Or a popcorn night on the couch. It just means that we watch a lot of movies instead. There's a great little video store down the street from us which we patronize often. (I know! who knew they were still around?!) My husband and I are still working our way through a Redbox gift. There's always recommendations and loans from friends/family. For the most part, we dip into our modest little library at home.
Every now and then my husband and I do manage to sneak in a movie we want to watch. The majority of the time, however, the "G" rated crowd is choosing the entertainment. This means my life has become full of an eclectic blend of cartoons covering various animated series and just about every Disney flick to hit the big screen. I have absolutely no idea what is hitting it big in the box office these days. Ask me for a recommendation for the toddler crowd, however, and I'm your girl. Here's what's been hitting it big around our household lately ...
For that one person out there who has not seen this movie yet, I will attempt to avoid spoilers. Although we do not own it, Frozen has been seen multiple times now in our household. I did make the mistake of downloading a few of the songs onto my iPod, so I have become intimately familiar with the lyrics. Admittedly, they really are catchy. In my opinion, Disney knew what it was doing this time around. The story moves along, the characters are fun and everyone in our household enjoyed watching. Well done. Last night my husband introduced me to Frozen, the horror movie. Now I like it that much more.
Another big hit around our house is Scooby Doo, Mystery Inc. The original Scooby Doo offers its own brand of zany laughs. Mystery Inc. takes it to a whole new level. There is still plenty of zoinkies, traps and, of course, Scooby Doo. The new gang offers an ongoing story line as well as some multi-level humor. The whole family has tuned in for the entire season one. Yes, we're looking forward to season two.
When we're not delving into new viewing experiences, we fall back on the classics like Thomas the Train. The only Thomas we had for the longest time was Misty Island Rescue. As the only representative of the train entertainment in our household, it got quite a bit of use. So much so that my better half finally asked me to find some new Thomas movies. These days we are circulating three or four through the player. They might still be getting too much use considering we're now critiquing the episodes.
Popcorn and movie nights are probably going to remain a staple around here for a few years to come. If anyone has new suggestions for us, we're always open. In the meantime, I need to get back to Sheriff Bronson Stone.
No comments:
Post a Comment