I'll admit to enjoying a fancy coffee on occasion. Yes, I've been known to haunt the hallowed
halls of the local coffee bar hoping to get my decaf fix for the day. I can say "hand over the grande decaf
caffe latte skim, please" with the best of them. Unfortunately, where we currently live, there
is no such option located within a convenient distance. Besides, sometimes I want to settle in with a
cappucino while curling up with a good novel at around nine o'clock at
night. I'm really not motivated to climb
out of my jammies and bunny slippers to venture into the cold, dark night. Nor do I feel like hiring a sitter for my
three sleeping children just so I can fetch said beverage. The obvious answer is the home brewing
system.
Here's where the confession comes in. When I'm looking for that nine o'clock fix, I
quite frankly don't care if the espresso beans have been freshly ground seconds
before pulling my beverage. If I am not
standing there frothing the perfect container of milk I will somehow manage to
sleep with myself at night. Perhaps this
makes me a rube in the coffee annals, but I just want my drink so I can get
back to my book already. This leads me
to the lazy man's version of the cafe latte -- the home brewing system.
Now I know there is a very popular system that is making the
rounds of every Walmart, Target and Bed, Bath
and Beyond out there. At the time I was
looking to buy however, there was no milk frothing option on this machine. Plus, as my brother is wont to say, I'm not
looking for anything fancy like "Midnight Romance in Vienna" I just want the cup of
coffee. As a result, I ended up going
with a less popular brand.
To be honest, I am completely thrilled with my machine. Both performance wise and product wise, it
has lived up to my expectations. Problem
is, I feel like I was on the Beta side of the VHS showdown. For the sake of simplicity, we shall refer to
my machine as Beta and the other machine as VHS. At this point, you could probably walk into
the hardware store and pick up coffee for the VHS model. Perhaps a slight exaggeration but not by
much. And there are any number of
popular brands that are churning out beverage options for the VHS machine. I, on the other hand, am forced to go online
to order coffee for my Beta. Which means
when I've discovered the coffee carousel is empty, I don't even have the option
of running out for a quick box. To add
insult to injury, I can only drink decaf.
The limited selection available online has fewer and fewer decaf
options. Maybe I should save the decaf
bias rant for another day, but it seems to me that those of us not wanting to pump
stimulants into our systems should still be able to enjoy a cup of fine roasted
goodness.
Now, folks, I'm not some out of touch snob who thinks the
lack of foam-topped beverages in my life is the end of western civilization as
we know it. Sometimes, though, it sure
would be nice to have the small luxury of settling in with a frothy delight and
the latest Janet Evanovich without having a 40 minute round trip or trying to
remember which is the larger size, grande or venti? Not wanting to invest additional coinage for
another piece of machinery, I guess I shall have to wallow in my quixotic
little coffee dream of a skinny decaf latte whenever the whim should strike.
I feel you on this. Although Target is now carrying a limited selection and it seems BB&B has expanded their selection. For the record, Lowes now sells the VHS stuff as well. I will keep plowing ahead with my Beta machine as it still makes a better cup of coffee than the VHS.
ReplyDeleteAmen to that!
Delete