Friday, January 22, 2010

Making Time

Sleep has become a high priority for me these days. I hate to sound so selfish and shallow, but it's true. I've gotten almost desperate on this subject. I've considered, amongst other options, drugging my child, drugging myself, finding a neighbor with a guest bedroom that is unoccupied or even going on a girl's weekend away just so I could sleep the entire time. Can't you see it now? "Hello, Milan! Hello, hotel bed!" I didn't claim I was going for life of the party, I just said sleep. Point being (did I say I had a point? I'm too tired to know ...) that if I'm giving up any possibility of sleep these days, it had better be for a particularly good reason. And it's amazing to me how my concept of "good reason" has shrunk rapidly.

Last week my husband wanted to go on a date. This is probably the first time since we've been dating that my husband has suggested a date. He planned what we were going to do and found a babysitter. I felt like going on a date about as much as I felt like shooting myself. Then I thought about my sister and all the times that she is tired and still goes on a date with her husband. It's all about fostering relationship, right? Doesn't it figure that as we snuggled up in the back row of the theatre, a very lonely gentleman took the seat near us and began chatting happily away. So much for our first evening alone. Despite this, we still had a wonderful time. And it was good to have that time for just us.

This past Monday we took advantage of the three-day weekend to take Gabriel to see his first snow. We figured there's not a lot of babies who can say their first snow was on Mount Etna. On the way up we managed to take a bit of a detour through one or two small towns, but eventually we got to the top. A short visit indeed. Gabriel wasn't much of a fan of the snow and cold blowing in his face. Our outing consisted of a few snapped pictures and back into the car for the drive home. Again, despite this, I'm so glad I went.


They may not be important moments in the grand scheme of things, but they're awfully important to me. I want to know that we took the time to foster our relationship and capture some special moments even while we were floundering around trying to figure out parenting. Making time is worth missing a little sleep.
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Ah yes, sleep... it certainly becomes a precious commodity when you have an infant! Take heart - by the time Gabriel is a teenager, you'll have to drag him out of bed at noon, and you can sleep in as late as you want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweetie,
    I am laughing with you...I am still trying to capture sleep. You do have to take care of yourself...sneak that 15 minute nap or whatever you can get.
    I am glad you and hubby were able to get out for a special date night even if the old man was kind of in the way. I am sure your hubby will plan many more.
    WOW...Gabriel is adorable. He sure is growing up. I love the snow picture! What a story you will have to share with him when he is older.
    Blessings and prayers, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your new look... I've got to meet your designer. Ha!

    Even if you have some interruptions it is so good to have time for the two of you. First and even more important than baby is your marriage. Good for Ben to take the initiative.

    Yeah, sleep... still trying to make up for years of lost sleep. Praying for you dearest. Some things are just over rated... warm meals, sleep, fill in the blanks...

    And can I tell you I love your picture here... beautiful. Kiss that sweetie for me... and tell him I miss him... I miss you, too.

    Love,

    kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so wise!!!! You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete